Friday 26 August 2011

A Moment of Great Exhilaration


I have almost touched the finishing point. What appeared to me as an endless quest finally comes to an exhilarating finish. The road was bumpy. But the driver, our E-teacher Elliot was resolute and confident. I was convinced that I will be able to complete the journey. Now I am a different human being and teacher. I have acquired a lot, in terms of knowledge, skills and attitude. I have learnt how to integrate technology for promoting better learning. I have also learnt that technology can make learners interactive and autonomous.  Technology can engage the students in meaningful learning.

In the first week of the programme I was confused. I even thought that I won’t complete the course. My condition became worse when my colleagues asked what I was always doing with my laptop. But I was determined. I thought they were a bit cynical. I told them about the E-Skills programme and the kind of work we have been doing. Then they really appreciated our work. 

I have followed all the directions properly. Whenever I had any problem I contacted my E-teacher Robert and he responded promptly. Some of my E-pals also gave me a lot of help. I always made it a point to read the articles in-depth and related those ideas to my classroom context. I tried to put some of these concepts/ideas/tools into practice in my class.  A few good things I would like to say about the E-skills course. One thing is one needn’t have to be a computer wizard to do the programme. If you have basic computer skills and ready to do dedicated work then I think you will be able to do the course. Secondly, Robert is a real inspiration, and he is a wonderful facilitator. Thirdly, I got lots of help and support from my E-pals. Some of them are very good academics. They have shown me the right direction. I congratulate RELO, the University of Oregon and the experts behind the programme for admitting a group of teachers across the world in this wonderful programme. 

I will not regret my hard work. Now I am a new ESL Teacher. I will be able teach well. I will be able show new directions to my trainee teachers. I will use technology for empowering the teachers and students. I will work for a brave new world in ESL. This course has given me a lot of knowledge, skills, attitude and motivation for realizing all these dreams. 

Thanks to Robert, RELO, New Delhi and Oregon university,

Thanks to all colleagues for being wonderful friends and motivators. 

P.K.Jayaraj

1 comment:

  1. Hi P.K.

    It was wonderful to have you in class. I can hardly believe you ever questioned your ability to stay with it, you always seemed so strong. It is nice to hear you found my support helpful and encouraging. It is important that I remember that point as the instructor of e-courses, as it is easy to forget what a struggle online learning can be, especially for people new to such learning environments.

    I know this is just a step in your continuing evolution as a teacher. I am privileged to have been a part of that.

    Take care,
    Robert

    ReplyDelete