Friday 12 August 2011

Week-8: Wonders with ANVILL


Week-8



Wonders with ANVILL



This week I think is the most difficult one for me so far. The pressure was too much. Still I could complete the draft project in time. Finally I managed to send the draft projects to my peers for reading. I think I have done something really fruitful.



     I started doing the weekly tasks only during midweek. Thanks to Jeff our guest facilitator. Anvill is a great work for the cause of English language education. It took me a lot of time to understand the potentials of ANVILL. An online language lab, that too free and user friendly, it is really a great idea. The voiceboards and how it works is really interesting. This tool will help us a lot in teaching oral skills. It will be a blessing to second language learners of English. Teaching pronunciation is one of the hard spots in ESL. I think voiceboards can help us a lot.



This week I created a class survey for collecting feedback from my teacher trainees. The URL of my

Teacher Development Program Evaluation survey form is https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFpLZTFncWs2NlpzSHJ1djJHNWx6OVE6MQ . I did it using Google doc.  Google doc is a wonderful tool for ESL teachers. Using this we can create all kinds of surveys and feedback forms.



On ANVILL, I created a course ‘E mail campaign among ESL Teachers’ (https://anvill.uoregon.edu/anvill2/node/24611). To see it, you may need to log in. The course I have created contains a quiz, a voiceboard and a lesson. If we make our students work with it I am sure that they will get a lot of opportunities for improving their English language communication skills.      Thirdly I have created a webpage namely “ESL Empowerment at RIESI” (https://sites.google.com/site/eslempowermentatriesi/home ) using Google sites. To visit this site please paste the URL on the address bar. It contains activities for improving accuracy of the teacher trainees.



    Now we are approaching the final phase of the E-skills course. The journey is finally coming to an end. The programme has made me skillful. I have read the draft projects of Javier and Santiago. I’ll do it today. Another week for the final project. Heartfelt thanks to Robert and my E-pals.



P.K.Jayaraj

3 comments:

  1. Dear P.K.,
    The job you are doing is amazingly great.
    You motivate me and all our e-class.
    Your experimenting with ANVILL is sure to have far-reaching and most positive repercussions on your teaching.
    I like all the stuff you produced this week, especially, ESL empowerment at RIESI site. PK's Classroom is a good place to be.
    The picture in your post of a human being ascending the ladder makes me wonder what there is at the top of the ladder: a brink of a precipice, a dead end, the heaven`s door, or maybe a new ladder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear P.K.

    I have read the draft of your project and I would like to congratulate on it, you have done a great job and to me it is ok. I do not really see corrections to be made; I hope Roberts sees it in the same way.

    I did not have the time to work on mine as I would have liked to. However, I did my best on Tuesday afternoons and Wednesday morning. I know there will be things I will have to add or delete, please help me out with it.

    Thanks a lot

    Javier

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear P.K.,

    I share with you the feeling that this week is the most difficult, but I really feel sorry that the course is coming to an end.

    I believe using ANVILL in the classroom and having students use it outside the classroom will not help them improve their language skill, but it will also gear them towards autonomy. This especially will be the case with students who really want to improve their language skills and work on their own to do so.

    ReplyDelete